Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Wexford Carol - Grattan Ford or Grattan Flood?
From: Terry O'Neill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 7 Nov 2010 08:52:42 -0500

Hello Listers
This is a little outside of "the jigs and reels," but I'm hoping
someone can confirm my suspicions. I'm researching the history of "The
Wexford Carol" and it seems that the Wikipedia article on the song may
contain errors - which have spread to many other online sources.
(Yeah, I know, seems preposterous!) Wikipedia credits a "William
Grattan Ford ( 1859 -1928).. organist and musical director at St.
Aidanís Cathedral in Enniscorthy" with transcribing the song from a
local singer, eventually placing it in the Oxford Book of Christmas
Carols.  As far as I can tell, the man in question is William Grattan
Flood, whose contributions to the history of Irish Music are
enormous , and who served as organist at St. Aidan's in 1895.  Can
anyone confirm this?
Thanks
Terry O'Neill