Searles O'Dubhain <[log in to unmask]>

List for Scholars and Students of Gaelic Folk Traditions <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 1 Oct 2010 12:59:27 +0100

Next weekend will be the Harvard Celtic Colloquium in Cambridge, Massachusetts. It is
put on annually by the students there and has presentations by some of the best Celtic
scholars on the planet. It's held in a room filled with couches and easy chairs and best of
all is free to anyone who desires to attend. Here's the announcement from their webpage:

Thursday October 8, 2009

5:00 p.m. ~ John V. Kelleher Lecture
Sponsored by the
Department of Celtic Languages and Literatures,
Harvard University
Theatre Room, Harvard Faculty Club, 20 Quincy Street, Cambridge, MA

Professor Patrick Sims-Williams
Department of Welsh, Aberystwyth University

"‘So Many Dark and Time-worn Volumes’:
How our Understanding of Early Irish Literature has Progressed"
~ This event is open to the Public ~

Colloquium Sessions

October 9, 2009

Dydd Gwener / Dé hAoine / Friday

9:00-10:30 a.m. Session One
Erin Boon (Harvard University)
Arthur as Alexander in Culhwch ac Olwen
Herve Le Bihan (Université Rennes 2, Brittany)
"An Dialog etre Arzur Roe d’an Bretounet ha Guynglaff" and its connections with the
Arthurian tradition
Natalia I. Petrovskaia (University of Cambridge)
Dating Peredur: New Light on Old Problems

10:45 a.m.-12:15 p.m. Session Two
Sarah Zeiser (Harvard University)
Qui venerunt angeli: Latin and the vernacular in medieval Wales
Kasi Conley (Harvard University)
Deflowering Gwynedd: (Dis)use of the Sovereignty Goddess Myth in the Fourth Branch
Sarah L. Pfannenschmidt (University of Aberystwyth)
"From the Shame You Have Done": Comparing the stories of Blodeuedd and Bláthnait

1:30-3:00 p.m. Session Three
Kylie Murray (University of Oxford)
Dreams of Medieval Scottish Nationhood: the epic case of William Wallace
A. Joseph McMullen (Harvard University)
Land Genealogy: The Phenomenological Function of Place in the Early Irish Dindshenchas
Patrick Wadden (University of Oxford)
Cumtach na n-Iudaide n-rad: A middle Irish Poem on Nation Characteristics

3:15-4:45 p.m. Session Four
Sheila Kidd (University of Glasgow)
Readers, listeners and nineteenth-century Scottish Gaelic dialogue
Philip O'Leary (Boston College)
Gaelic Gumshoes and Gunslingers: The early work of Cathal Ó Sándair
Ríona Nic Congáil (St. Patrick's College, Drumcondra, Dublin/DCU)
"Some of you will curse her": women's fiction during the Irish-language revival

5:00-6:00 p.m. Session Five
Matthieu Boyd (Harvard University)
The commonplaces of Gwerziou Breiz-Izel, and other remarks on an English translation of
François-Marie Luzel's Breton ballads
Éva Guillorel (Harvard University and Université Européenne de Bretagne)
Collecting in the Breton islands: prejudices and realities

***

It's three days of wonderful presentations, discussion and socialization, all concerning
folklore, literature, language and issues of interest to students and experts alike. I will
not be attending this year as I am recovering from a fall and a broken hip. If you go, I
recommend parking away from Cambridge at a bus or train station and taking public
transportation to the hall at Harvard. Parking is hard to find there and you will get a
ticket if you do not move your car every 3 to 4 hours (as it is temporary in most public
areas). That's the only downside of the event. Otherwise, it is Celtic studies heaven.

Searles O'Dubhain