Re: Seeking Duma Dergluachra

Neil McLeod <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 6 Sep 2010 10:28:22 +0800

On 5/09/2010 8:18 PM, Marion Gunn wrote:
> I can't help thinking of the surname(s) ” Luachra and
> ” Luachair, commonly given several different etymologies, as possible
> candidates for further examination in the context of this discussion
> (ref. both Scotland and Ireland, as indicated by the samples below).

Good point, Marion. However, as you know, a modern surname does not always
point to the existence of a corresponding medieval personal name. For
example, some surnames are taken from geographical locations (e.g.
Breatnach/Walsh/Welsh).

MacLysaght's 'Surnames of Ireland' (p 78) equates the pseudo-Norman name
Deloughery with ” Dubhluachra, and says of it "another case of dubh
'black', with a place name".

On the otherhand, at p 262 under the surname 'Rush', he seems to cast doubt
on the appropriateness of the English word Rush as a transloatiuon for the
Irish ” Luachra. And on p 199 he says that (O) Loughran / ” LuchrŠin is
probably from luchair 'bright' - cf DIL's 2. lķacha(i)r.

If there are medieval examples of Luachair being used as a personnel name,
that would be a basis for speculation as to the meaning of Dergluachra in
the text under discussion. All I am saying is that I personally don't know
of any, and that until Janet turns one up, the speculation has no basis.

Neil