Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Fástini Airt Meic Cuind 4
From: Liz Gabay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 17 Aug 2010 04:38:19 +0100

The text –

   A mbaí and iarom oc fegad ar ind radairc for cech leth

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 21:51:26 +0100, Paul Tatum  wrote:

>My first Old Irish sentence on my own, so sorry for any mistakes...

Hi Paul,
           Wow!  This is great for a first attempt! You wouldn't be pulling my leg,
would you??  :)

Paul  wrote --

>a m- : conjunction, nasalising: 'when' ???
>bai : another spelling of our old friend 'boi': 'he was'
>and: 'there'
>iarom: 'then'
>oc fegad: verbal noun of 'fegaid': 'at observing'

Messe – DIL entry for 'fégaid'  says “In older literature generally
translated ‘looks at’,’observes’, ‘scans’ generally implying close attention”

Paul
  >ar: prep 'in front of, before' Is 'arind' correct combination of
>'ar'+article?

Me -- yes

Paul -->ind radairc: 'the ....': is this a fem noun, dative case *radarc? eDIL
>seems to not be finding any queries for me, boo ya!

Messe --
  The DIL entry for 'rodarc' quotes our text and describes 'radairc' as "?dative
singular" defined as "sight, vision, generally of the range of vision, not the
faculty of sight"

Paul -- >for: prep 'upon'
>cech: 'each, every'
>leth: 'side, half'
>'When he was observing then and there the XXXX upon every side'

Messe --Or  we could say –

When he was there then looking at the view on every side ...

     Next I’ll post the rest of the sentence and we’ll see if the above makes
sense in the overall context.        Liz