Re: Green Martin

John Hooker <[log in to unmask]>

CELTIC-L - The Celtic Culture List.

Mon, 2 Aug 2010 12:40:59 -0600

Hi Dave,

I have to agree with you here. It is sometimes possible to track things
from the opposite direction -- finding later survivals of earlier myths
-- Androcles/St. Jerome, for example, but tracking their exact route
through time and space is fraught with problems and only rarely can be
accomplished. Looking for a specific answer is like entering a maze with
the expectation that the exit will be where you think it should be!

The study of lore is really taking a text (or recording) and then
tracking the origins of each if its elements-- its focus is the text,
itself, and the study takes you where it will. This is very different
from looking for very specific answers that have been defined before
starting the search.

For a book, I tried to track some pre-Christian Celtic antecedents to
the later Grail stories, but found that the later elements could easily
have come from a number of different sources. There seemed no clear
evidence as to which, so I had to abandon that whole part of the book.

Cheers,

John

--
"Numismatics is the window through which I look out on the past."
Derek Fortrose Allen