Help for IBN-L Archives

IBN-L Archives

Subject: Re: madeiran petrel
From: Steve Wing <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 20 Jul 2010 11:12:15 +0100

I'll describe what I saw and how I decided on Leachs Petrel.

I was watching two Wilsons and four or five stormies passing Blannan, with
the whole group pausing on a few occasions to feed, when a larger petrel
with much longer wings joined the group. It didnt stay around very long but
was quite obviously larger than the rest with longer, narrower wings, making
it look more like a swift. The thing that really stood out was the virtually
white carpal bars, almost as white as the rump patch. I didnt notice a
forked tail but I didnt actually look for one!
I had read up a little on Madeiran Petrel the night before afters Owens
great find and I remembered that the books pointed out that Madeiran Petrels
had fainter, less pronounced carpal bars than Leaches. This bird was
certainly not showing feint wing bars! They were 'in your face'. Based on
this, I plumped for Leaches.
I have seen very few Leachs Petrels and no Madeiran Petrels so I cannot work
from experience.

I would like to point out that I am in no way insinuating that the bird I
saw was the same bird as Owen saw.

Steve