Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Aspiration Mutation in Masculine O-Stems
From: Campbell Nilsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 18 Jun 2010 03:41:02 +0100

Hey all,

I'm Campbell Nilsen, and I'm a high-school student who's been studying Old
Irish on and off for some time. (I'm really fascinated by obscure languages.)
The introduction having been given, here's my question.

Looking through the prehistory of Old Irish declensions (I have Sengoidelc, and
a wonderful tome it is), it seems to me that the nominative singular of
masculine o-stems should produce an aspiration mutation. In Primitive Irish, for
example, the nominative singular of what became 'ech', "horse", was 'e&#967;wah'
(using w for u-with-undercurve, because I can't find that symbol). 'Ech'
produces no mutation. But the accusative plural is 'echu', with an aspiration
mutation. In Prim. Irish, it too had an -h at the end. So what's going on,
exactly?