Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Subject: luchd
From: Colin Mark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:22:31 +0100

In the dim and dusty recesses of my computer I came across the
following example:
feumaidh iad cobhair a thoirt gu luchd gun dachaigh
they must give assistance to homeless people
Is this a valid use of ‘luchd’?
Now, of course, 'luchd' in a hyphenated compound is very common e.g.
luchd-ciùil, musicians, luchd-ionnsachaidh learners, luchd-obrach
workers etc. But I cannot find an example of ‘luchd’ being used alone,
with the meaning ‘people’, which excludes, of course, luchd na Beurla,
English speakers, and the like.

Cailean