Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: an OI challenge!
From: Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 18 Mar 2010 09:57:10 -0700

David Stifter wrote:

>> 3.  No-m·thá mo mún!
>
> The phrase is grammatically okay (but I guess "táithiumm" would be
> more usual), still it doesn't really look OIr. to me.

Well,  it's admittedly a reach.  The only mention of pissing in Old or
Middle Irish that I can think of is in the sad tale of Derbfogaill:

"Tabram ar mún isin coirthe dús cia as sia ragas ind."

This at least supports using the possessive pronoun: mo mhún.

> Perhaps a construction with "éicen" or a similar word?

Perhaps take this modern version and OI-ize it?

Is éigean dom mo mhún a thabhairt.

Or simply:

Issum éicen mún.   (?)

That would fit better in the speech balloon!

Dennis