Help for UCD-STAFFORDBEER Archives

UCD-STAFFORDBEER Archives

UCD-STAFFORDBEER@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

UCD-STAFFORDBEER Home

UCD-STAFFORDBEER  March 2010

UCD-STAFFORDBEER March 2010

FuturIcT EU Flagship initiative "Unleashing the power of information for a sustainable future"

Jasmin Kominek <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 27 Mar 2010 02:05:42 -0700

I just returned from the Spring Conference of the DPG (Deuts
Dear all,

I just returned from the Spring Conference of the DPG (Deutsche Physikalische Gesellschaft http://www.dpg-verhandlungen.de/2010/regensburg/soe.html), where there is a Physics of Socio-economic Systems Division. Although I am not a physicist it was very interesting and I met a lot of interdisciplinary interested people.

At members meeting of this division Dirk Helbing, present chair of division, told about a flagship project initiative which he started and for which he asked the division's support that he received.

Perhaps any of you is also interested in participating or supporting the initative?
I am sorry, the deadline for committing first interest is already tomorrow (at least for scientists), but for further information please use the links in the following letter below or contact "Dirk Helbing" <[log in to unmask]>.

Best wishes and successful projects on reaching sustainability,

Jasmin

WG: VERY urgent: Registration for the
FuturIcT EU Flagship initiative "Unleashing the power of information for a sustainable future"
VERY
urgent: Registration for the FuturIcT EU Flagship initiative "Unleashing the power of information for a sustainable future"
Donnerstag, 25. März 2010 22:01:01
Von:
"Dirk Helbing" <[log in to unmask]>
An:
"Stefano Balietti" <[log in to unmask]>Dear friends and colleagues,

our application for the EU Flagship initiative (100 Mio. EUR / year, over a period of 10 years) will be submitted very soon (see http://cordis.europa.eu/fp7/ict/fet-proactive/flagshipconsult2009_en.html for details).

For the success of our application, it is
essential to show the broad interest by scientists from a large variety
of disciplines and,
furthermore, by business partners, science
organizations, foundations, policy makers, and the public media.

Therefore, we have set up a registration page at
www.futurict.ethz.ch/FlagshipRegistration
For your information, this
webpage starts with the current summary of the FuturIcT flagship.
As
the deadline for the submission of the Flagship draft is close, we ask
you to register by

    MARCH 28, 2010.

Signed letters of
support by companies, government agencies, and science foundations can
also sent to us after this date.

We will ask you for your contact information, institution and contacts that may be important to launch
the Flagship. It will
be important to show a significant leverage
effect, i.e. to demonstrate that, by the EU investment into this
project, the expected
impact will amount to a multiple of the
investment.

With your registration, you indicate your interest in participating in the Flagship activities, and you will be informed of
the further
activities. Of course, there is no guarantee to get
funding or to be a principle investigator etc. This naturally depends on factors
such as a fitting qualification, international reputation,
commitment, and success of our joint activities. However, registration
is
a way to make sure that you will be considered in the further
process.

If you don't object, we will publish your name,
institution, and the location of your institution on a publicly
accessible
webpage, which allows you to view the other supporters of
the FuturIcT flagship initiative. We will, however, not publish
sensitive
information such as names of colleagues or companies you
propose to involve. This information will be used by the Flagship
coordinators only, and we plan to coordinate ourselves with you regarding the steps
to be taken. For example, we will figure
out the best contacts to
science foundations and companies and ask the respective person to get
in touch with this company
or institution. In this way, we will try
to avoid uncoordinated contacts, in order to reach the best possible
result.

Thank you very much for your support of the FuturIcT
flagship. I look forward to our future interactions.

Best wishes,

Dirk (Helbing, ETH Zurich, www.soms.ethz.ch)

P.S.: In case of
questions or comments regarding the FuturIcT registration page, please
contact Stefano Balietti <[log in to unmask]>

http://mail.yahoo.com