Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: athrathai luaid
From: Charles DeVane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 14 Feb 2010 21:59:38 +0000

"Old or withered" could be the meaning of "ath" but somehow I get the idea that the fern being presented here is in a state that it would be caustic for usage. I think it might mean "new" or even "raw" in this case. I can't point to any specific source for this understanding (maybe thinking about rebirth?). It's just a feeling I have in the context of the other plants being presented. It's almost like poison ivy which would fit right in. Maybe a "second growth" of the fern (will have to look into characteristics od such things to see if they are more itchy or burning).

Searles