Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: ABSTRACT DEADLINE EXTENSION - All at Sea? Synergies between past and present coastal processes and ecology.
From: Sally Little <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 2 Feb 2010 21:27:55 +0000

Apologies for cross posting.

ABSTRACT DEADLINE EXTENSION - All at Sea? Synergies
between past and present coastal processes and ecology.

Conference, Loughborough University, UK, 22nd-23rd April
2010.

Abstract Deadline: 26the February.

'Early Bird' Booking Rates available till the 12th March.

Organisers: Dr D. B. Ryves, Professor N. J. Anderson & Dr
P.J. Wood

Key Note Speakers:  Professor Antony Long, University of
Durham and Professor Graham Underwood, University of
Essex.

Coastal zones are dynamic systems. They are high-energy
environments exhibiting rapid spatial and temporal change
and are constantly evolving. The complex interaction of
physical processes operating on both short (e.g.
tides, fluvial input of nutrients and sediment) and
longer-term timescales(e.g. climate & sea level change)
form the driving force for many of the biological,
chemical and sedimentological processes that occur in
these systems. Coastal zones are unique in their steep
gradation of conditions (e.g. salinity) which produce
distinctive ecological communities.

In recent years human impact has seriously altered many of
these coastal systems resulting in issues such as
eutrophication, over-exploitation of resources and
pollution catching media attention. Such major
anthropogenic changes make it increasingly difficult to
understand the already complex natural physical processes
and ecological changes operating within the
coastal zone. These complex issues must be dealt with
before we can begin to use these archives as
palaeo-records for understanding the past, for which
they offer great potential to integrate the independent
terrestrial and marine records of past climatic and
environmental change. By understanding the past in these
terms we can provide valuable context for investigating
recent and future change.

This conference aims to address the following questions:
1. How do physical, biological and chemical processes in
the coastal zone impact ecological communities and how do
these communities change and evolve over time?
2. Can we successfully isolate natural environmental
change from human impact in modern and recent coastal
systems?
3. How can we most effectively apply complex contemporary
ecological information to improve our interpretation of
palaeo-records?
4. How can we integrate complex contemporary ecological
data with time-averaged palaeo-data to improve policy and
management of coastal ecological systems and future
predictions under changing climate?

This conference will be composed of four sessions
entitled:
1. The contemporary coastal zone: physical, biological and
chemical impacts on ecology.
2. Assessment of the strength of climatic and
environmental change inferences from palaeoecological
investigations.
3. Formation of the palaeo-record in high-energy
environments: chronology, taphonomy and diagenesis
4. Integrating contemporary and palaeo datasets from the
coastal zone: synthesis and visions for the future.

For more information and registration details see:
(http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/gy/allatsea/) or
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Sally Little. PhD Student. Loughborough University.

--

PhD Student, Department of Geography, Loughborough
University