Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: FINAL CALL FOR ABSTRACTS - All at Sea? Synergies between past and present coastal processes and ecology.
From: Sally Little <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 24 Feb 2010 22:16:03 +0000

Apologies for cross posting.

FINAL CALL FOR ABSTRACTS - All at Sea? Synergies between
past and    present
coastal processes and ecology.

Conference, Loughborough University, UK, 22nd-23rd April
2010.

Abstract Deadline: 26th February.

'Early Bird' Booking Rates available till the 12th March.

Organisers: Dr D. B. Ryves, Professor N. J. Anderson & Dr
P.J. Wood

Key Note Speakers:  Professor Antony Long, University of
Durham and
Professor Graham Underwood, University of Essex.

Coastal zones are dynamic systems. They are high-energy
environments
exhibiting rapid spatial and temporal change and are
constantly      evolving.
The complex interaction of physical processes operating on
both short      (e.g.
tides, fluvial input of nutrients and sediment) and
longer-term
timescales(e.g. climate & sea level change) form the
driving force      for many
of the biological, chemical and sedimentological processes
that occur in
these systems. Coastal zones are unique in their steep
gradation of
conditions (e.g. salinity) which produce distinctive
ecological      communities.

In recent years human impact has seriously altered many of
these coastal
systems resulting in issues such as eutrophication,
over-exploitation of
resources and pollution catching media attention. Such
major      anthropogenic
changes make it increasingly difficult to understand the
already complex
natural physical processes and ecological changes
operating within the
coastal zone. These complex issues must be dealt with
before we can      begin to
use these archives as palaeo-records for understanding the
past, for      which
they offer great potential to integrate the independent
terrestrial and
marine records of past climatic and environmental change.
By      understanding
the past in these terms we can provide valuable context
for      investigating
recent and future change.

This conference aims to address the following questions:
1. How do physical, biological and chemical processes in
the coastal      zone
impact ecological communities and how do these communities
change and      evolve
over time?
2. Can we successfully isolate natural environmental
change from human
impact in modern and recent coastal systems?
3. How can we most effectively apply complex contemporary
ecological
information to improve our interpretation of
palaeo-records?
4. How can we integrate complex contemporary ecological
data with
time-averaged palaeo-data to improve policy and management
of coastal
ecological systems and future predictions under changing
climate?

This conference will be composed of four sessions
entitled:
1. The contemporary coastal zone: physical, biological and
chemical      impacts
on ecology.
2. Assessment of the strength of climatic and
environmental change
inferences from palaeoecological investigations.
3. Formation of the palaeo-record in high-energy
environments:      chronology,
taphonomy and diagenesis
4. Integrating contemporary and palaeo datasets from the
coastal zone:
synthesis and visions for the future.

For more information and registration details see:
(http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/gy/allatsea/) or
 e-mail:

Sally Little, PhD Student, Loughborough University
--

PhD Student, Department of Geography, Loughborough
University