Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Leave the French out of it / was An Cumann le Béaloideas Éireann
From: Philippe Varlet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 25 Jan 2010 10:19:51 -0500

At 08:03 PM 1/24/2010 -0500, you wrote:
>In my opinion, it's just plain rude to obviously exclude people from the
>conversations.
>
>I have travelled extensively to France. When you are the only person at the
>table who understands none of the conversation, then this is truly not nice.
>How do you know what is going on!

Why single out the French? No one was making an effort to speak French to
accomodate me when I arrived here in the US some 30 years ago. I had
studied English, and I still had a lot of trouble understanding what was
being said around me--some people even thought I was stuck up because I
didn't laugh at their jokes (which I didn't understand). But I listened and
I learned. It's not easy. My wife, who is American and speaks some French,
still has trouble at our family reunions, and I do my best to keep her
involved and translate when needed.

How did you end up at a table of French people where no one spoke English?
Was there a friend of yours there who could have translated or explained?
Mostly, though, why expect everyone else to be at your service. After all
this traveling in France, one would think you'd have pick up some of the
language...

Philippe Varlet
Hard-to-find imported Irish CDs
http://www.celticgrooves.com