IRTRAD-L@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

Monospaced Font

IRTRAD-L Home

IRTRAD-L  January 2010

IRTRAD-L January 2010

Re: Strucure of reels

Alan Ng <[log in to unmask]>

Irish Traditional Music List <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:20:14 -0600

Thanks, Barry. I agree with your conclusions, even though I draw from
somewhat different experiences and sources.

Here are a couple bits of data towards your particular O'Neill
conjecture. All of the following claims are of course limited to the
scope of my database:

92 reels have 3 or more parts (i.e. one or more parts labeled C, D, etc.).

30 of those can be found in either or both O'Neill's 1,850 or 1,001
books (aka MI and DMI).

However, only 24 of those 30 actually had 3 or more parts in one (or
more) of the O'Neill settings of the tune. I.e., 6 of the 30 reels only
had 2 parts in the O'Neill setting.

Here are the 24:

ID# Title
241 Bucks of Oranmore
248 Bunker Hill
360 Colonel Fraser
385 Contradiction
436 Cup of Tea
554 Dublin Reel
608 Farewell to Ireland
643 Flogging Reel
659 Four Courts
750 Gooseberry Bush
929 Jenny's Welcome to Charlie
1003 Jolly Tinker
1050 Kiss the Maid behind the Barrel
1127 Limerick Lasses
1252 McFadden's Handsome Daughter
1275 Merry Sisters
1308 Miss McDonald
1384 Musical Priest
1677 Tear the Calico
1967 Trim the Velvet
2536 New Road
3158 Sleepy Maggie
4833 Western Lasses
4927 Chorus Reel

Whether O'Neill himself "artificially" pasted together these multi-part
tunes or not is a question for other experts who (unlike me) are versed
in pre-1900 tune histories.

- Alan

[log in to unmask] sent on 1/20/10 5:39 AM:
> Alan, that's mighty work! Many years ago, I came to the conclusion (without much formal analysis) that AABB or AB was the 'real' structure for Irish dance tunes and that most of those that didn't fit into pattern were put ones put together by O'Neill. I've never had the time to test this thoery but your researches might throw some light onto this conjecture.
>
> I was interested to note also the postion of 'Miss McLeod's' in your top reels, : as recorded, I think it came 3rd, largely due to recordings from older generation musicians; not surprisingly in view of this, it came nowhere in the 'as played in sessions' category. Yet, in the past, it was the absolute number one tune for dancing (even known in Conamara as 'the Dancing Reel', I believe) and, even today, around my area, if we have to play a tune for an impromptu figure of a set, it is always 'MM'. I once asked piper/flute player Michael Falsey from Quilty (now aged over 80) if he played medleys of tunes for the individual figures of sets and he answered that he would nearly play 'MM' for all the reel figures!
>
> However, a few years ago, when I was running a session for local young players, I hardly found any of them that knew 'MM' - sure, they knew all the latest by the 'in-group' of the day but the 'old time' favourites seemed to be dropping out.

Alan Ng, PhD . Madison, Wisconsin, USA
[log in to unmask] . http://www.alan-ng.net