UCD-STAFFORDBEER Archives

UCD-STAFFORDBEER@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

Monospaced Font

UCD-STAFFORDBEER Home

UCD-STAFFORDBEER  November 2009

UCD-STAFFORDBEER November 2009

Re: The Next 100 Years ($2.50 causes ***in hospitals***)

Nick Green <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 29 Nov 2009 15:10:09 -0000

Right yes, Luc, a rather poor joke by me. You can see Latour modernity
by-passed in, of all things, medicine.

In UK news today there's a text book example of the irresponsible science-
politics nexus from the basically unaccountable National Health Service.
Unaccountable because error rates have no formal controls and were barely
counted at all until recently. Reporting of errors by anybody is resisted
rather than welcomed as vital feedback.

Some years ago Sir Brian Jarman (ex Chairman of British Medical Association-
the Doctors trade union) realised that people die in hospital for the wrong
reasons. His analysis of patient risk and viability bears some study. He
addresses preventable errors (e.g. Poor nursing care, misdiagnosis, filthy
wards producing unnecessary deaths) in UK hospitals. Learned references are
given at the Imperial College site.

BBC Reports
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/nov/29/nhs-hospitals-safety-report
Dr Foster website
http://www.drfosterintelligence.co.uk/
University base
http://www1.imperial.ac.uk/medicine/about/divisions/ephpc/pcsm/research/drfosters/

Usual story: ghastly bureaucrats with no incentive for quality doing fuck
all or nothing as we say in polite society. Add in the elite: surgeons who
by and large won't work at weekends, on Fridays or Wednesday afternoons.

The name Dr Foster ( a character who avoids unpleasantness) comes from the
children's nursery rhyme. As a word "foster" means nurture.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Foster

The NHS is basically a low pay uneducated culture: in hospitals about 75,000
autopoietic and underworked doctors are supported by more than 1 million
(mostly low pay) staff serving, at any one time about, 185,000 patients in a
bed. That is an extraordinary variety equation. Fewer staff getting in each
others way and more hand washing would be the "$2.50 relay" solution here.
Far too much statistically naive (false positive rates are largely unknown)
time wasting ritual bullshit that only the gullible can believe survives in
UK's NHS -and elsewhere I wouldn't doubt.

Best

N.