Help for IBN-L Archives

IBN-L Archives

Subject: Re: POSSIBLE Glaucous winged Gull - hybrid not ruled out
From: Mike O'Keeffe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 15 Nov 2009 12:11:03 -0000

Mícheál,

Your posting made it on to the IBN alright.  Only seeing the shots this
morning and they are brilliant - well done!

It does appear to me rather too Herring Gull like in overall appearance, not
the compact, bulky, short winged look with that classic beady eye positioned
high and far back in the head of classic GWG.  Other than the structural
impressions I have no real comments.  I have no first hand experience of
those messy West Coast integrades and I find discussions re same on ID
Frontiers hard to read.  Have you guys had any opinions from the USA?

There is something vaguely familiar about the bird - it reminds me of a
hybrid that was at Nimmo's some years ago.  Looking at shots of supposed
integrade Glaucous-winged X Herring on the net the primaries and tertials
often appear darker in those birds so  I wonder could it just be a well
marked Glaucous X Herring or a Glaucous X Great Black-backed hybrid?

Nice find Derek!

Regards

Mike