Help for GAEILGE-A Archives

GAEILGE-A Archives

Subject: Bob's Your Uncle - Anacal?
From: ni_hansa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 17 Oct 2009 10:05:24 -0700

A chairde,

Dia dhaoibh.

An bhfuil eolas ag éinne fá dtaobh de fhoinse an abairt "Bob's Your
Uncle"?
Does anyone have any information about the source of the phrase "Bob's
Your Uncle"?

Sílim gur féidir go bhfuil foinse Gaelach aige.
I am thinking that perhaps it has an Irish source.

Since I know that the American phrase "Say Uncle", when used in a
fight, means "Say that you give up", and that "uncle" in this phrase
comes from the Irish anacal (protection, deliverance),
I thought that perhaps the "uncle" in "Bob's Your Uncle" also came
from "anacal".

Tá a fhios agam gur "trick" an chiall atá le "bob" i nGaeilge, ach ní
thig liom fianaise a fháil fá dtaobh de abairt Gaelach a chuireann
"bob" agus "anacal" le chéile.
I know that "bob" in Irish means "trick", but I cannot find any
evidence of an Irish phrase that puts "bob" agus "anacal" together.

Cuidiú?
Help?

gath rath oraibh uilig,
Pól i bPortland, Oregon