Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: another quatrain w/ numbers
From: Gary Ingle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 13 Sep 2009 12:16:29 -0700

It sounds like Mr. Flood's Party to me (E.A. Robinson) and a wonderful
pun on "rosc" = "eye, verse."  If I understand it correctly it should be
hung above the bar of an Irish pub.

Dennis King wrote:
> Since no one of a paleographical bent came forward, I went ahead and
> posted a transcription of the quatrain on the blog.  I repeat it here:
> Ata liumsa tormach ruisc.
> feidhle ní tuband ré ní.
> a haen and dar liumsa dhó.
> a dhó ann dar liumsa trí.
> Is the poet describing a literal defect in his vision, or speaking
> metaphorically?
> Dennis

<<   Gwnewch y pethau bychain mewn bywyd   >>
<< Dèanaibh na rudan beaga anns a' bheatha >>
<<  Faites les petites choses dans la vie  >>