Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Iuchar? What does it mean?
From: Bernard Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 10 Aug 2009 22:41:01 +0000

I read in the archives to Old-Irish-L that 'An t-Iuchar', the Scots Gaelic month of July, means 'bordertime'.

However I find other explanation to Iuchar meaning such as:

Keys: the justification is:
Iuchar is the same month as July.
July is the month of Juipiter.
Juipiter is symbolized by keys
Hence Iuchar is Keys.

Yet this seems to fall apart if Iuchar should be in reality the month of August?
For Iuchar is described as the fourteen days before Lughnasad and the fourteen days after.

Spawning:
Here I have to relay on the internet that Salmon and Trout spawning takes place in Ireland from November to January? Hence a poor match for the month of Iuchar.

Warm month:
I read that the month of Iuchar is called by an older name in northern districts of Scotland. Fiuchar, which is said to be from the obslete verb "Fiuchad" 'to boil' (or 'to seeth' per  eDil). I personally for boiling in August seem apat.

Iuchar the son of Danann

Iuchar's brother is Brian.
Brian Michael is thought to be Lugh.
Is Iuchar related to Lugh?

Angus Og takes three days from Iuchar, as Beira takes three days from Faoilleach.
Faoilleach is an aspect of Beira
Iuchar is an aspect of Angus Og?

Lugh is a harvest cult per O hOgain.
Angus Og is the 'king of summer'.
Iuchar is August (harvest month OG).

Could Iuchar and his brothers be representations of Lugh/Angus Og?? An Irish “Jarilo”.

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.
http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=PID23384::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:NF_BR_sync:082009