Re: Ó hAoláin 7 Ó Faoláin

Marion Gunn <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 13 Aug 2009 13:47:54 +0100

Scríobh Liz Gabay:
> Hi Marion,
> Here in America, the priest who baptized me (in the 1950s) was
> Father Whelan, pronounced like English 'whale in'.

That is common enough here, although I think "education" has more or
less succeded in stamping it out. :-)
> Here's what MacLysaght in "Surnames of Ireland" has to say:

Yes, I know. Am still hoping for a source beyond that. I used to have an
office elsewhere, so have two copies of MacLysaght, both paperback sixth
editions, not worth anything more than their contents. If anyone
supplies a strong enough reason, via [log in to unmask],
[log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask], for
wanting to give my spare copy a home, they can have it.

One good reason, of course, would be to point me to a source beyond
MacLysaght, Woulfe or the usuals.

mg