Subject: Slab like face
From: Peter Gariepy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 9 Jul 2009 15:53:29 -0400

My favorite is Chaparral.

You might still find a Multi Master version out there that will work with Illustrator 10 and Classic (Mac for you PC users). The OpenType version has only four weights which for me is not enough and I'll find myself resorting to another computer in my office with Classic installed. Chaparral is beautiful as a text face and in the display settings very nice for headlines or subheads.

There are certainly other novelty faces that match your description Gunnar, but they don't have the built in kerning pairs or alternative characters.

I vote for Chaparral, here is the description from Adobe's type site:
"Created
by Adobe type designer Carol Twombly, Chaparral combines the legibility
of slab serif designs popularized in the 19th century with the grace of
16th-century roman book lettering. The result is a versatile, hybrid
slab-serif design, a unique addition to the Adobe Originals family of
typefaces. Unlike “geometric” slab serif designs, Chaparral has varying
letter proportions that give it an accessible and friendly appearance
in all weights from light to bold. Like the drought-resistant brush
that blooms on the arid coastal range near Twombly’s California home,
Chaparral’s highly functional design is surprisingly beautiful."

Happy lettering,
Peter Gariepy
5 to 9 Lettering & Design
Orchard Park, NY