Re: Melior

Thierry Bouche <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 15 May 2009 18:29:13 +0200

WA> Very well then, if a designer complains about a font being bad, this
WA> reflects more on the designer's lack of skill or ignorance than on the
WA> font.

OK. Let's take lino Sabon as an example. What if a designer complains
about the missing lower left serif of italic _p_, or the incredibly
wrong expanded _o_, _x_, etc.? we all know the reason (duplexed lino
matrix imposed same widths to roman and italic, kerning impossible,
thus the italic had to fit or be cropped irrespective of any
meaningful design decision), but does it make this design good in any
respect, especially since the digital medium removes all these
limitations?

 Thierry