Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: another tweet
From: Sean O'Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 9 May 2009 13:42:51 -0400

"Today (is) a Saturday in the month of March and my companion is reddening
and I am writing" ?

I am guessing that 'oc ruamar' is the equivalent of the modern 'ag ruachan'
= getting red.  Given the time of the year, one might hazard a guess that
the companion is either a plant coming into flower, or a bird, such as a
house finch, that shows color intensification at that time of the year.

Here's another utterly prosaic but somehow captivating tweet from
Murchadh Ó Cuindlis:

"Satharnd indiú a mís Márta ocus ata mo shesse oc ruamar acas mé buden
oc scribend."

sesse = seise
buden = budéin = fadéin = féin

If you translate it, you also get to speculate on who his "seise" was!

At times I wish this were a blog and not a traditional e-mail list.  I
would love to post a magnified photo of the actual marginal note
here.  This tweet, unlike some of the others, has not suffered much
fading.  And our man has a very clear and pleasing hand.