Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: medieval Twitter
From: Elliott Lash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 6 May 2009 10:14:58 -0700

I can check out Eriu 24 tomorrow.
-elliott

----- Original Message ----
From: Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 5:26:05 PM
Subject: Re: [OLD-IRISH-L] medieval Twitter

Pamela O'Neill wrote:

>> "Dorignes in timroscc cétnai, a Domnaill."  (Query: what imroscc?)
>
> You made the first mistake, Domhnall?

I think it's "I made", given the broad -s.  "You made" would end in -is, I think.

Also, "cétnae" (modern "céadna") can mean either "first" or "same", depending on where it stands in relation to the noun.  If it follows the noun ("in NOUN cétnae") it means "the same NOUN".

So:  "I made the same mistake, Domhnall."

> I guess if Domhnall was working on a different ms we'll never know.  These are wonderful snippets!

Well, we may know more.  I'd still like to find out what Tomás Ó Concheanainn can tell us in "The scribe of the Leabhar Breac." Ériu 24 (1973): 64-79.  If you have access to that, could you have a look?

Dennis