Subject: Re: Z
From: Michael Brady <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 27 Apr 2009 10:34:41 -0400

On Apr 27, 2009, at 10:21 AM, Petraio Prime wrote:

> Why is the (sw-ne) diagonal in many fonts, thick? It should be thin!
> Trajanus has it right. In my re-working of the original 1950
> Palatino, I noticed this error and corrected it.

More explanation of my previous reply, which I dashed off in a hurry.
If you are right-handed and hold a flat-nibbed pen at a slight
angle /, when you make upstrokes, the vertical stroke will not be the
full width of the nib, because you are holding it at an angle to the
direction of the stroke. In a Z or 7, the horizontal will be a bit
wider than the / downstroke, which should be not much wider than the
nib itself. In an M or N, the \ stroke will be almost the full width
of the nib, and the / will be very narrow, like in a 7. Generally, as
I said, the up-strokes are thinner than the down-strokes, and the
thinnest part of curved letters is at the NW and SE of the circle. I
suspect the Z is intentionally made contrary to this "rule" in order
to emphasize the main stroke, not the shorter strokes that form the
letter.

Michael Brady