IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

IRTRAD-L Home

IRTRAD-L  March 2009

IRTRAD-L March 2009

Re: Tyrone Regional Style?

Sherry and Don LADIG <[log in to unmask]>

Irish Traditional Music List <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 9 Mar 2009 12:12:54 -0500

Hi Ian, et al,

   You might also want to check out the book and its sequel, Passing The Time In Ballymenone, and
 also   The Stars of Ballymenone (which has an excellent cd with it). They are written by Henry Glassie and published by Indiana University Press.

         Even though the books are talking chiefly about Fermanagh music and life, right next door to Tyrone, there is a lot of talk about Tyrone as well, mentioning fiddler Peter Flanagan as having a Tyrone style, particularly on the barn dances. The books are beautifully written about all aspects of life in this rich landscape, and has lots of information on the music.

     Good Luck,
             Sherry Ladig