Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: new McWhorter book
From: Aled Llion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 15 Mar 2009 23:29:11 -0700

It's a fun book, and he's refreshingly pro-Celtic.
Essentially, he argues that what he calls the 'irrelevant 'do'' (or
something similar) in sentences of the kind:
1. Did I see you?

are the same as, and probably due to, the structure which is present in
Welsh, where the same sentence could be rendered:

2. Wnes i dy weld di?

with the preterite of 'gwneud' (vn: 'doing') as an auxilliary.

He argues that this use of 'do' is so rare not only in European languages
but also in the world that its presence in English must be the effect of
influence from British.

At least that's what I remember from reading it quickly a few weeks ago (and
I'm far from home at the moment and will be for a week or so, so can't check
his terms or revisit the finer points of the argument).

Aled