Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Poem by Cináed the Wise 8
From: Neil McLeod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Mar 2009 16:10:15 +0900

Liz Gabay wrote:

>> BB = Book of Ballymote (RIA MS 23 P 12) 108 r col a
>
>> Luid Tadg ína ndiaig Óar nglÓaid gona
>> immar briaid. dar brega
>> robdar f‚ebraig i frais foga
>> co Glais n-¬e(m)naig nDara.
>>
>> Lec = Book of Lecan (RIA MS 23 P 2) fol 221 v col a
>>
>> Luid Tadc ína ndiaig Óar nglÓaid gona
>> immar brÓaid dar breaga.
>> robdar f‚ebraid i frais fola
>> co Glais n-¬enaig Nera.

> Tadg went after them after wounding-combat

That seems grand, but I note that 'glťo' can mean 'strife, trouble' as
well as 'combat'. I wounder whether the 'trouble, tribulation' here
might be 'suffering? If so, we might read:

'Tadg went after them, having suffered a wound'

lit. 'after [the] suffering of a wound'. Remember that Tadg suffers
three wounds altogether, so this might refer to the first of them.

> Like a fire across Brega.

Isn't that a lovely similie! Not only is he radiant and fierce, but he
is sweeping in a destructive fashion across the field of battle.

> They were sharp-edged in a shower of blood

Who is 'they' here? I prefer BB's 'foga':

'the javelins fell in a sharp shower'

lit. 'were sharp in a shower'. The reading in Lec may be due to 'fras
fola' being such a common expression.

> To Glais n-¬enaig Nera.

Neil