Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Poem by Cináed the Wise 7
From: Liz Gabay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 4 Mar 2009 03:00:13 +0000

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 16:15:03 +0900, Neil McLeod
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>BB
>Cearsat na tri Fearguis [fh]ala
>colin ergnuis ga.
>ru-das-mudaig in glond grma
>in Lugaid lond Lga.
>
>Lec.
>Cearsad na tr Feargais fhala
>colin ergnuis ga.
>ro-dus-mudaig an glond (n)gnma
>in Lugaid lonn Lga.

  I am having a hard time identifying some of these words, but maybe if I post
what I have so far it will jumpstart a discussion.

They loved the three noble  Ferguses (or the three noble Ferguses loved....)
 ???????????????????????????
the feat of action destroyed them
the fierce Lugaid Lga

  'cearsat/cearsad' looks like preterite 3rd plural of 'caraid' (see DIL C 73.43).

  I couldn't identify 'colin'.   Could it be a form of the  verb 'coillid' (damages,
destroys) ?

     'ergnuis' looked like a form of "rgna..understanding, discrimination,
discernment'' although it doesn't make much sense.
     'ga' looks like a variant of "ige...joint, part of the body.....post, prop,
pillar....time, fixed period".
     Neil mentioned the verb 'mudaigid' (overcomes, ruins, damages, destroys)
but I could not explain the 'du' of  'ro-dus-mudaig'.

   I hope to see a better translation soon.  Liz