OLD-IRISH-L February 2009

Re: Poem by Cináed the Wise 3

Neil McLeod <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 Feb 2009 12:15:52 +0900

Elliott Lash wrote:
> I tried the next stanza.

Great. Thanks for joining in. You have done well, too. But there are
some tricks and wrinkles to take note of.

You have in fact transcribed the next two stanzas, so I will just look
at the material for stanza 3 for the moment.

> BB
> airdrig Do cosnam temra
> cen tairbirt re slúag n-emna

'airdrig' here is not the first word in the line. Note that it comes
after the '§' sign.  So (as we discussed for stanza 1) the beginning of
the stanza is on the next line (Do cosnam), which is why the 'D' has an
ornamented capital.

The word 'airdrig', then, comes immediately after 'n-Eamna ind' (at the
end of the line below it). I have supplied the capitalisation of the E,
but the 'a' after it is there in the MS, it is written below the 'e' (so
that what we have is an 'e+a' compendium, the 'a' running on from the
final stroke of the 'e').

Note also that there is a mark of lenition over the 'g' of 'sluag' (so
'sluagh').

 > ind rárbúi gargda i n-airbert iarmad arba Cormac

The bit you read as "rár" is rather the 'ocus' sign (7 = &) followed by
'ni' with a hair-stroke over the 'i' to show that it is an 'i' (rather
than a part of some other letter, such as 'u'). The "búi" part is rather
a 'b' followed by 'in', again with a hair-stroke over the 'i'. What I
think we have then is 'nirb ingargda' rather than 'rárbúi gargda'.

As MS 'airb-t' follows the preposition 'i', it ought to be expanded as
'airbirt' (or 'airbeirt') rather than 'airbert'.

For 'iarmad arba', I read the first part as the letters 'iarnid', with
an n-stroke over the second 'i' (rather than a suspension stroke), so
that whole is 'iar n-indarba'.  This MS (unlike Lec) certainly does not
show 'indarba' as one word, but since it ought to rhyme with 'ingargda',
it probably is.

> Lec
> n-airdric. rar Do chosnom temra

Again, 'nairdric' isn't at the start of the line. (Indeed, Lec has
'nairdric. & nir' after the '§'.) Again, it is to be read after the end
of the next line in the MS.

> cen tairbert re sluag n-emna

Again, after 'cen' we should expand dative 'tairb-t' as 'tairb(e)irt'.

> bui garga i-nairbert iarmad arba Cormac

MS 'nairdirc & nir' goes at the front here. Again the letters after the
'b' are probably 'in' not 'ui'. So '... nirb ingarga'. This time the MS
spells 'airbeirt' out in full; note the second 'i'. This time 'indarba'
(see discussion of BB above) is written all as one word. MS Corm-c
should be expanded 'Cormaic' (since it is genitive, and rhymes with
'airdric' - of course, we don't know that from looking at the MS; we
have to parse the text as well.)

> The sense of this is elusive right now - as is the metrical form of it.

As we have mentioned, the metre is 8(2), 6(2), 8(2), 6(2). When we
divide it up in accordance with that syllable count, the required
end-rhyme (airdric : Cormaic), consonance (tairbeirt : airbeirt),
internal rhyme (Temra : Emna / ingarga : indarba), and alliteration
(except in line d) are revealed:

(Lec)
Do chosnom Temra cen tairbeirt
re sluag n-Emna n-airdric
& nirb ingarga i n-airbeirt
iar n-indarba Cormaic.

The rhyme 'airdric : Cormaic' looks imperfect, but the first word could
also be spelled 'ordraic' (cf the various spellings in DIL), so it may
not be as bad as it looks.

The one odd bit is line (c). If we read '&' as 'ocus' we have one too
many syllables. So probably it stands for the short for 'is'.

Now that the text is a little straighter, would you like to give us a
revised version of your translation?

Neil