Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Cath Crinna §20
From: David Stifter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 6 Feb 2009 09:02:46 +0100

Dennis King wrote:

> OK, I'm going to do this with a couple of glasses of Markowitsch
> Grner Veltliner on board.  Wish me luck!  :-)

Markowitsch from Gttlesbrunn? Now, here's the Celtic connection.
They have their vineyards only a bit to the north of the
Leithagebirge, that area where there was in the Roman provincial
period the so-called Ciuitas Boiorum, apparently a kind of autonomous
region where those last Boii lived who had survived the catastrophic
defeat by the Dacians in the middle of the 1st c. BC.

On a more private note: Raimund Karl excavated a La Tne settlement
there in the nineties, and Theresa Ills lives only a few kilometres
away.

> > LL   Mani threthad a ara
>
> if not * he were to have subdued (past subjunctive of "traethaid") *
> his * charioteer

If the charioteer were the object, we'd expect "araid".

> >     ropad re Temraig tr
>
> (it) would be (3rd sg. conditional of copula) * before * of Tara *
> land

As Neil pointed out, "Temraig" is dative and depends on "re". Perhaps
"tr" is the adjective "dry" and refers to Temair.

> >     resfed carpat a d rth.
>
> would run * chariot * its * two * running(s)

Now I am a bit perplex: why is there a length mark on "rth"?
Apparently it is needed to rhyme with "tr" But then it can't be
"course, running". Or "tr" isn't "tr" at all, but rather "tair"?
But this doesn't give a good rhyme either.

> I'm not sure what to make of the "its two runnings", but then again,
> I'm not sure we need to be bound by the supplied length marks here.
> The MS has "adarith", which might be divided as "ada rith", with
> "ada(e)" as the adjective meaning "fitting, suitable", and "rith" the
> noun "running", giving us the figura etymologica "resfad rith" =
> "would run a running".

The figura etymologica speaks very much in favour of "rith" with
short "i".

David