Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Cath Crinna §24
From: Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 12 Feb 2009 09:07:13 -0800

Neil McLeod wrote:

> Which brings us to the question of the poem by CinŠed the Wise. [...]

> So far, I have been producing the transcripts from the manuscripts.
> This involves not only deciphering them, but making some decisions
> about word division and the expansion of contractions. This is all
> good fun, and a skill well worth developing.

It is fun, and a useful skill.

> If anyone feels they would benefit from having shot at producing the
> transcripts for the first stanza of the final poem, we could then
> discuss the palaeographics as well as attempt a translation.

Two concerns:

1)  The poem runs to twenty-odd verses, making it a long investment in
time if we undertake it.

2)  The public-access photos at ISOS have pretty good resolution, but
the text is still small.  Somewhere I have a password to access higher
resolution reproductions, but some of us probably don't have that.

Dennis