Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Poem by Cináed the Wise 2
From: Liz Gabay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 17 Feb 2009 20:36:34 +0000

Here's what I got.   I encourage other people to try this because after the
first few lines it gets much easier and faster.

BB
U. L. caith milead cialla
Mon maith min fer morda
Cotrachait righ roglach righa
Robo coblach croda

Lec
Coiccaecaid caith milig ciallda
Mon maith min fer morda
Cotrichaid rig rogla(ch?) rigda
Robo choblach croda.

  I couldn't be sure of the abbreviation at the end of 'rogla(ch?)' in Lec.
Again, Lec divided the stanza into two lines, and BB made it four lines.

   'U.' in BB is probably  a 'V' standing for the Roman number five and 'L' stands
for 50.   I used 'gh' where the manuscript had a ponc over the 'g' although we
don't usually write out lenited 'g' as 'gh' in Old Irish.

Syllable count -

BB 8-7-8-6

Lec 8-7-8-6

  Liz