Subject: Re: Typographic quality of software?
From: Peter Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 9 Jan 2009 16:39:59 +0000

Rodger Whitlock wrote:
> On 8 Jan 2009, at 22:22, Juergen Fenn wrote:
>
>> The point is that those authors who like to write in MS Word usually
>> don't want to use anything else, neither OOo nor LyX. They don't even
>> want to switch between the different versions of MS Word (not for
>> incompatibility issues, but because they are afraid of the new interface).
>
> One has to wonder why so few applications offer the user the option of
> configuring their own menus.

It makes it impossible to train others if the menus they are going to
encounter won't look like the ones they used in the course (because
someone else has modified them). Support becomes even more of a nightmare.

> Or, if I'm wrong in the assumption I've made, why
> so few users utilize this feature to mitigate the never-ending tinkering with
> user interfaces MS so loves.

Possibly most users don't know what is and isn't possible.
IMHE, for example, users don't know you can reveal (set the width) of
the style-label margin in Word: the first barrier to using styles.

///Peter