UCD-STAFFORDBEER December 2008

Re: VSM and morals - CHOICE

"Wright, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 5 Dec 2008 10:27:01 -0000

Pugwash promoted such an oath - you can find it on their website. In his
final years Jo Rotblat founder of Pugwash promoted the idea amongst
young people and I know many young scientisits especially in the US have
signed up. In the UK Sandy Butcher at the London office willl have more
details. In recent eyars it is something that has been taken up by
Scioentistst for Global responsibility - One of their principal scholars
Dr Chris Langley has been exploring the growing involvement of the
military in our universities by scientists and engineers who mentally
compartmentalize their work and retain the illusion that it is pure
research when the military almost never fund anything which has not a
future or specific military application...

Steve Wright

-----Original Message-----
From: Forum dedicated to the work of Stafford Beer
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Javier Livas
Sent: 05 December 2008 02:58
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: VSM and morals - CHOICE

Roger, Barry, Allenna and all:

I seem to remember that Stafford mentioned or produced a letter with
an oath were scientists plegded not to accept being used for ignoble
purposes. Am I correct? Can we find this letter?

The bad use of the VSM has been a source of reflection for me for some
time. One of the assumptions that the VSM makes which is a little off
is that workers themselves have at least some notion of dignity to
defend. I am not so sure, at least in Mexico, that this is true. Here
you will find people willing to accept so much mistreatment it is
terrifying. So given this working environment, where workers expect
nothing but a meager salary (think tens of thousands of maquiladora
jobs in the border town) it would be extremely simple for owner-bosses
to abuse the VSM.

So then the ethical problem turns very nasty when confronted when you
are confronted with the following choice: should I create a
maquiladora and USE and exploit ignorant workers and improve their
condition marginally while I make a profit, or should I let them to
continue to make a living by mugging or narcotraficking? Sometimes the
only moral choice is between bad and worse. What then?

Something practical to think a bit about,

Javier Livas