Help for UCD-STAFFORDBEER Archives

UCD-STAFFORDBEER Archives

UCD-STAFFORDBEER@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

UCD-STAFFORDBEER Home

UCD-STAFFORDBEER  December 2008

UCD-STAFFORDBEER December 2008

Re: VSM scope of application (was:RE: is there anyone out there????)

Steve Morlidge <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 Dec 2008 10:20:56 -0000

Dear All,

A propos Javier's comments about Management Innovations - I know Julian
Burkinshaw and he is aware of Stafford's work (as do the people that he
works with at London Business School) because I had lunch with him a couple
of years ago and he scribbled it all down as we ate!

If you were cynically minded you would say that he wouldn't mention SB
because he represents competition - Julian and Gary Hamel have set up
something called the Management Innovation Laboratory attached to LBS. Their
pitch is that the only meaningful innovation in business today is that of
management models and they have attracted a lot of funding to their venture
from businesses who think that this is what they will learn about from them.
I think JB/GH etc realise that the answer lies in biological rather than
mechanistic models of organisation but I don't think they have the
intellectual depth (or will) to take this to the next step.

Howvever, I don't think it is right to be quite as cynical as this. I was
struck by a statement Benoit Mandelbrot made in his video lecture posted on
the MIT website (thanks for pointing me at them Nick). He said he had been
studying how new ideas get adopted in science (I am sure he will be familiar
with Kuhn's stuff on this even though he didn't refer to him.). He claimed
that the ideas that were adopted quickly were those that were not fully
formed when they were first launched, since this gives academics the
opportunity to help create and shape the concepts.  As we know you are
committed to what you help create, but also this means that the adoption of
the ideas are consistent with an academics need to build his/her career. On
the other hand, a fully formed set of ideas gives the intellectual community
two choices. Either agree (and forsake all but me - including everything
upon which you have build your career and intellectual identity) or
disagree. A consequence of agreeing is that you come to identify (or be
identified) strongly with the creator of the new paradigm, which of course
gives the nay sayers ammunition (it is a cult etc etc).

It seems to me that this is the position that we are in with Stafford's
stuff.

What to do about it? Ah...well that is a bit more difficult!

Steve