Help for UCD-STAFFORDBEER Archives

UCD-STAFFORDBEER Archives

UCD-STAFFORDBEER@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

UCD-STAFFORDBEER Home

UCD-STAFFORDBEER  December 2008

UCD-STAFFORDBEER December 2008

Re: Selling Cybernetics to Business and Managers

Leonie Solomons <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 15 Dec 2008 21:50:40 +1100

Arthur, a suggestion:

The objective of your 5 minute meeting with the CEO is to secure the
next meeting of a longer duration.  To achieve that you need to give
him an appetiser which addresses his concerns.

The objective of that next meeting is to discuss with the CEO
how 'what you have' will contribute to addressing the issues that are
confronting the CEO.

Thus, the objective of your initial meeting is to listen and establish
rapport within 2-3 mins:
... to ascertain what concerns the CEO (as proposed by Luc) - expect
this will be more that his agility quest.
... to establish a connection, a rapport with the CEO (as proposed by
Joe)

Having listened then you have 1-2 minutes to sketch your contribution
in the context of his concerns.  That sketch is the appetiser to
secure a time to meet again.

You may also find your CEO will indicate if he wants you to do your
homework with his team and then meet with him.  Or, whether he wants
you to meet with him first for a longer duration.  You may have your
own ideas of which way you want to steer that choice.

You have gone past the gatekeeper and the door is open.  The important
point is to ensure the door stays open.  Recall here the 3 laws of
communication that Stafford mentions- 1) channel reaches across from
one end to the other end,  2) the channel can convey the traffic, 3)
transduction.

Good luck
Leonie