UCD-STAFFORDBEER December 2008

Viable Economy #3

BARRY A CLEMSON <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 5 Dec 2008 10:55:07 -0500

This is my third rant about developing a cybernetically sound
regulatory system for the global economy. For the sake of brevity, I
am going to make some straightforward assertions, without much in the
way of qualifying comments. Please consider all of this as tentative
and my challenge to you to improve upon it.

OUR GOALS:
1) Every national government in the world should have a "Council of
Systemic Advisors", similar to the existing Council of Economic
Advisors.

In the US we also have a Science Advisor to the President, but there
is no one charged with explicitly thinking about systemic issues. A
Council of Systemic Advisors would, in the long run, have an enormous
impact on government policies and on the university and the roles of
cybernetics/systems within the university (which in turn would feed
back for more impact on government and corporations).

2) We need Obama and his team of economic advisors to be aware of and
receptive to the cybernetic community's insights re. regulation in
complex systems.

To achieve goal #2, we do not need a fully developed design for
regulating the global economy What we need to begin are a few well
chosen demonstrations of where cybernetics would dramatically improve
on the current economic thinking that led to the current crisis. At
the risk of revealing my abysmal ignorance about economics and the
stock market, i will suggest that the current system is largely a
positive feedback loop with "speculator expectations" as the  key
level (to use Forrester's system dynamics language). If this is even
close to correct, then the system is GUARANTEED  to engage in wild
swings and ultimately collapse. Regardless of the correctness of my
example, I think what we need to get our ideas on the table is a few
such examples of systemic alternatives to grossly inadequate designs.

STRATEGY
1) We need a group focused on developing the examples of where
cybernetic thinking would dramatically improve upon current orthodoxy.
Hopefully there are at least a few of our number who understand a
little about economics and maybe can do this fairly quickly.

2) Obama is certainly the most important player right now, but other
nations should not be ignored. And getting to the government of one
country might well make it easier to get to the government of other
countries. Thus, we should all work on our own national governments
(and, where possible, help each other). Thus we need a group focused
on how to get the attention of the national decision makers.

3) This is much bigger than just management cybernetics. We need to
enlist every system thinker in the world. (NOTE: I am now really going
to reveal the ignorance resulting from spending most of the last ten
years as a carpenter and ignoring the academic world, but perhaps i
can still make the point). We need to enlist and ally with groups such
as System Dynamics, Society for General System Theory (I know, it
transmogrified into a different group but I don't remember the new
name), and the organizational learning folks such as Peter Senge who
emphasize systems thinking. Undoubtedly there are many others I don't
know about.

NEXT STEPS
1) We need to know who is interested and willing to work on this
project. Step right up and volunteer. Indicate:
- your country
- sketch of your background, what you bring to the table, how you see
yourself helping.

2) A dedicated forum, listserve or some such. Some of you are much
more knowledgeable than I about what we need to support the project.

3) Refinement of the goals and strategies. Clearly a serious
discussion has to refine these before we can do much else.

4) Think carefully about what other system scientists we can drag into
this project. Go ahead and recruit those you can. Make lists of those
you think might be useful but that you don't have personal connections
with.

A NOTE ON ME
I spent eight years teaching admin. in colleges of education, then ten
years in in  teaching engineering management. I was then forced out of
the university for failing at TV teaching. I also had careers in
software development (mostly with very large systems) and community
development. The last ten years I mostly built additions to homes and
recently became a novelist (discovered fiction is a hell of a lot
harder than technical writing!). All this is by way of saying that I
will have zero credibility with government decision makers and that
quite obviously someone else is going to have to be the public face
for this project. This might not be an issue, it might well be that
the best public face for the project will become obvious as we
proceed. On the other hand, I often think of Thomas Jefferson's
comment that any politician who wants the job is thereby disqualified
because he will then make decisions our of a context of preserving his
position instead of a context of the common good. So this is something
to keep in the back of your mind as we proceed.

PARTING SHOT
This obviously can only be done if a group of us step up to do it. Now
is the time! And you are the One! Take one step forward if you are
willing to help save the world ....

Grace and Peace,

Barry

What i have not yet seen is any large number of people explicitly
volunteering to do much about it.

BARRY A CLEMSON

757-692-6673

Cybernetica Press at www.cyberneticapress.com

"It's not how much you do - it's how much love you put in it.... Do
small things with great love."
             --- Mother Teresa ---

The true warrior may be killed, but he can not be defeated.
    --- my paraphrase of Sensei Hamada ---

And peace rolled down like a mighty river.
        -- Inspired by the prophet Amos 5:24--

"An enemy is a person whose story we have not heard."
            -- Gene Knudsen Hoffman --