Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Re: Eigse Dhiarmuidin CD
From: Alan Ng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 7 Nov 2008 21:18:20 -0600

Yes, Philippe, and actually, using the abc you posted in the previous
message, I had just run your transcription through my process before I
saw your next (this) message.

I can conclude - so far - that it does not match any tune I have
previously identified, including if transposed up to G (or, since I'd
call this a D Minor tune, up to E Minor). This isn't surprising, since
it at least partly owes its striking attractiveness to the modern
freedoms it takes relative to "old" tunes. I.e., I'd wager this is a
fairly recent composition, perhaps from Maeve herself?

There are, I should note, limitations to working with a transcription as
opposed to the actual recording - anyone who transcribes a tune (in abc
or any other notation) usually has to make choices about how to reduce
actual instrumental playing to simplified pitches and eighth notes, so a
proper identification often requires trying all possible abc
interpretations of the actual performance.

Also, hearing the other variations the player may "reveal" as they
proceed through second and third times through the tune sometimes
provides a "better" glimpse of what a notated simplification of the tune
"should" look like. Naturally I assume your transcription, Philippe,
reflects these kinds of wise choices, but my point (for anyone reading
this) is that they are subjective, personal, artistic choices much as
Breathnach, O'Neill, and other illustrious transcribers had to make. To
confidently make a statement about a recording, ya gotta hear the recording.

Alan Ng, PhD .  [log in to unmask]  .  http://www.alan-ng.net/
Madison, Wisconsin, USA

Philippe Varlet sent on 11/7/08 4:54 PM: