Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Re: Eigse Dhiarmuidin CD second & third reels ABC
From: Michael Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 8 Nov 2008 11:19:08 -0700

On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Alan Ng <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> ... Which relates to Dennis Reynold's post about that abctunesearch site:
> I'm pretty skeptical about even the theoretical possibility of
> fully-automated Irish tune search tools.
> So far, I believe the search user (of anyone's tune search engine) has to
> be a very experienced, aurally trained Irish traditional musician who also
> has some music-theory training and librarian skills in order to make wise
> choices about what exactly you're searching for. Otherwise you get lots of
> false negatives (which is a really bad thing for any kind of search engine)
> and too many false positives (which is not so bad).

I know the developer of, and I'm confident he wouldn't
claim that is fully automated ... or that he evens aims for full automation.
He is a very smart guy and a fine, aurally trained musician.

I just tried on Philippe's Maeve #2 and #3. From the first
two measures of #2, listed "Counting the Coppers" as its
top choice ("81% rating"). See the tune here: Looks like a match to me.

#3 was tougher. I tried a few different passages of 2-4 measures without any
strong hits. Finally, I entered the first three measures of the last line
(i.e. the second half of the B part, before the repeat), and it turned up
"Miss Crawford" -- Let me know
what you think!

Tune searching will continue to be an iterative process, and people with
good skills, as Alan indicated, will of course have the most success at it.
But the capability of to handle "fuzzy" searches is a
great advance, and I think many of us will benefit from it.

Michael Reid
Boulder, Colorado

P.S. My understanding is that right now only searches (warts and all). The developer hopes to extend it to cover
other abc libraries.