Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Chlorophyta taxonomy
From: Keith Cooksey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 12 Nov 2008 23:38:01 +0000

Can anyone recommend a book ( or service) which can help identify
Chlorophytes? We are building a culture collection of microalgal cells that
accumulate triglycerides and would like to use names rather than numbers!

I see many postings on this site that say algal oil production is not possible or
at least highly unlikely. I am on the board of directors of the Algal Biomass
Organisation along with algal producers, bankers, aircraft manufacurers,
lawyers and other academics. We and the US Dept of Energy and Dept of
Defence don't think we are wasting our time or their money. As far as
economics go, we cannot predict the price of algal oil in 10 years time just as
we can't predict the price of crude. On a per acre basis NOW algae can make
more oil than higher plants and do not require potable water to grow.

If anyone is interested, there are algal oil papers on my web site at
www.montana.edu - then do a search for my name.