UCD-STAFFORDBEER October 2008

The variety of life & the flow of ideas

John Waters <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 20 Oct 2008 18:25:41 +0100

An advantage of the written word - and particularly the emailed word -
is that the thread of a conversation need not be lost the way it it
would be in a (spoken) conversation. The thread of the (email)
conversation is recorded and can be easily searched, sorted and picked
up again whenever a new point is considered worth adding.

A lot of the matters under discussion recur, and many seem timeless. Why
is it that (on all mailing lists, as far as I can see) we are reluctant
to return to earlier threads, to extend and update them? Is this a tacit
convention, or is it a behavioural blockage? Is it because, having moved
on, we simply forget the earlier threads?

Just because we lack requisite variety to follow all threads in
(quasi-)real-time, this is (imho) no reason not to take advantage of the
technology to overcome our innate human limitations. Perhaps we could
agree some very simple conventions to make this easier, e.g. keeping
messages terse and close to the focus suggested by the subject line;
spawning a small number of (terse) messages with appropriate and
indicative subject lines where a conversation radiates or digresses; and
perhaps adding a prefix (such as "redux::" or "reprise::") when someone
decides to return to a thread.

John :)