Re: Final Prophesy lines 7-13

Neil McLeod <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 11 Sep 2008 13:26:58 +0800

Dennis King wrote:
> Neil McLeod wrote:
>
>> 8 rinna ulcha
>
>>> bearded stars (= comets)
>
> Good reading! Comets were generally perceived as ill omens, right?

Yes, I'm sure that's what they doing here.

>> 9 ilmoigi beola
>
> il- = many, numerous
>
> moigi = variant nom. pl. of "mug = slave"
>
> beola / bela = gen. sg. of "béoil = fat, grease"
>
> = many greasy / fat slaves (i.e. overindulged, complacent, and lazy?
> -- not what you want in your labor force)

A lovely image. But would the genitive here give the required adjectival
sense? Wouldn't they be rather 'fat's numerous slaves'? (CF GOI pp 158-9.)

Given the common confusion of medial 'gh' and 'dh' (and the loss of
final -dh), perhaps we could amend to this:

9 il-moíded béola Mouths much-given to boasting

'il-' prefixes to singular nouns in the sense ‘much, great’. We could
take the acc (pl) 'béola' to be the accusative of respect: 'Much
boasting in respect of mouths'.

(David mentioned the accusative of respect on the List some time ago. He
noted that it is called accusativus Graecus in Latin grammar.)

Neil