Re: Final Prophesy line 22

David Stifter <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 28 Sep 2008 21:24:28 +0200

I agree that "bearded faces" doesn't look appropriate for the whole
context, but none of the other suggestions is immediately convincing
either...

On So, 28.09.2008, 11:10, Neil McLeod wrote:

>> So personally, my starting point was that I thought ul-H would be for
>> ulADH or ulACH.
>
> There is also the word 'ilach / aulach / ulach', meaning 'a howling cry,
> a baying cry of exaltation'. 'Ulach' is used especially of a gloating
> cry made over the vitim of a criminal attack.
>
> From this there is an adjective 'ilchach'.
>
> 'Gnuse u[i]lCHIGH', 'baying faces, howling faces', might fit.

But then again you have the problem referred to in your other mail that
the suspension stroke apparently stands for a syllable beginning with a
vowel.

On the
> other hand, the couplets in the poem normally have a common theme, and
> 'batying faces' would make for an odd match to 'rusting equipment'.
>
> I wonder, then, if the other 'ulchigh' (bearded) might refer to weeds or
> lichen growing on something (to match the rusted equipment)?; cf the
> meanings for 'mongach' in DIL. Though what 'gnuse' would be then is a
> problem! (Perhaps an error for 'gnime'.)

"Rusted equipment" is equipment that nobody has looked after. So "bearded
faces" could be the human counterpart to this: faces, i.e. persons who do
not care for themselves and for their appearances. Faces with the hair
growing unhindered are something different from faces with stylish
moustaches or other modelled beards. Maybe this is intended.

David