Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Final Prophesy lines 22-25
From: David Stifter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 18 Sep 2008 09:47:46 +0200

Neil McLeod wrote:

> Then how about:
>
> 21	ilach im gnáth
> 22	gnú im éulach
>
> 21	a cry against custom
> 22	derision of the wise
>
> This involves reading 'gnú' as 'gnó' and treating the 's' in our MS as
> a mis-reading for an exemplar's 'i + superscript m-bow': the two are
> quite similar.

This is a lot of emendation, isn't it? One would perhaps expect "im
éulchu" then, "the wise ones". On the other hand, the MS reading
"gnuse ul-H", including the word division, makes straightforward
sense: "gnuse" is an acceptable spelling variant for "gnúisi", and
"ulcha" "bearded" is a word that fits into the semantic family of
"face". It may not seem immediately clear to us what the "bearded
faces" are, but I am sure there will be more lines in this poem that
are not immediately accessible to us. But the genre of prophecies
tends to be dark.

David