Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Die Sage von Cú Roí section 13a
From: Neil McLeod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 4 Sep 2008 08:01:59 +0800

Dennis King wrote:
> Although I haven't found it elsewhere, "fon
> n-all" appears to be a close relative of "ré haill" and modern "le
> haill", both meaning "over a cliff ~ down a precipice".

This construction also occurs in the version of 'Amra Chonroí' published
by Whitley Stokes in Ériu ii (at pp 30-31). Interestingly, here it is
Bláthnait who is killed, and Ferchertne who acts as the suicide-avenger:

srâinidh roime fon all co darobrûi in charrac diblînaib 'he hurled her
down the cliff before him, so that the rock crushed them both' (Stokes's
edition and translation).