Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Final Prophesy lines 34-37
From: David Stifter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 27 Sep 2008 21:49:49 +0200

On Mi, 24.09.2008, 04:15, Neil McLeod wrote:
> Here is the second last stanza of the Final Prophesy. It is devoid of
> linking alliteration. (Gray translates all four lines.)
>
> MS:
> ragaid m-c illigie aath-. ragaid ath- alligi am-c. cliamain cach
> abrath-. ni sia nech mnai assatigh.
>
> Elizabeth Gray expands as follows:
> Ragaid mAc i lligie a athAR. Ragaid athAIR a lligi a mEIc. Cliamain cach
> a brathAR. Ni sia nech mnai assa tigh.
>
> I divide the lines as follows (and Gray’s translation shows that she
> does, too):
>
> 34	ragaid mAc i lligie a athAR.
> 35	ragaid athAIR a lligi a mEIc.
> 36	cliamain cach a brathAR.
> 37	ni sia nech mnai assa tigh.

Noone has translated this so far, as far as I can see. We could normalise
the section into good Old Irish:

34. regaid mac i llige a athar
35. regaid athair i llige a maic
36. cli:amain ca:ch a bra:thar
37. ni:-sia nech mnai: assa thig.

translation:

34. the son will go into the bed of his father
35. the father will go into the bed of his son
36. everyone will be brother-in-law of his own brother
37. noone will seek a woman outside of his own house

I think the Voluspa has similar lines.

David