Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Life force?
From: Searles O'Dubhain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 24 Sep 2008 04:39:10 +0100

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 09:26:05 +0800, Neil McLeod
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>> The Book of Ballynote contains the Auraicept. McManus takes account of
>>> it just as he does the other MSS of the Auraicept.
>
>> The Auraicept materials by Calder include other sources: LL and YBL, as
well
>> as a manuscrippt from the Eggerton Collection.
>
>No, Calder cites those as sources for the first part of the 'Auraicept'
>text set out at pp 2-257 only (because they do not contain the rest).
>For the kennings (pp 272-300) Calder uses BB together with occasional
>fragments from Cormac's Glossary, H.3.18 (= Anecdota) and so on. I am
>not aware of Calder using any material not used by McManus for his
>edition of the kennings.
>
>Neil

The AURAICEPT materials used by Calder do include materials from the sources
cited. That's what I said.

Calder provides the entire text whereas MvcManus provides and abbreviated
and edited version.

In Calder's text there are synonyms provided to explain the kennings while
McManus has left them out.

The text at the link on the UCC Celt website that I previously supplied also
provides a list of synonyms. These should be used in interpreting the meanings
and spellings of the words and phrases.

Searles O'Dubhain