Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Nad Froích
From: Neil McLeod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 22 Sep 2008 20:10:22 +0800

Kitiara Denus wrote:
> Thanks Neil. I´ve always have seen the name separated in the books
 > and that was confusing me a bit.

Yes, I think it is usually (and most likely correctly) written as
Nad Froích. For example, Thomas Charles-Edwards uses the form 'Nad
Froích' in his book 'Early Christian Ireland' (2000).

 >Any chances on how to pronounce
 >this name? Every time I go to the Rock of Cashel I ask the OPW people
 >and they cannot tell me...

The 'n' in 'Nad' is straight-forward (like the 'n' in 'nose').

The -a- is more difficult to convey in an email (especially since I
don't know what accent you have yourself) - but it's a short Irish 'a'.
(For Australians that's a bit like the vowel in 'bath' and a bit like
the vowel in 'but', but it won't be for you ...)

'Froích' would rhyme with English 'hoick' (as in, to lift something up)
except that the final -ch is pronounced like the -ch in German 'ich'.
(In otherwords, the -oí- is a diphthong which is pronounced like the
-oy- in 'boy').

Neil